Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The tongue is a fire

Do you ever get hoof-in-mouth disease? That's when you say something you later regret. I do it more often than I'd like to admit. When I see it in others it serves to remind me of my own weaknesses. You see, I get defensive very easily. And what do you do when you get defensive? You lash out with cheap shots. Even if the shot has a little or a lot of truth, it is usually uncalled for. Cheap shots and fast reactions designed to get back at someone usually either backfire on us or wound the other person.
The Book of James says: "Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!" and "For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment."
What does this mean? Our words can get us in trouble very easily, and if I lash out against someone else, I can expect to get the same in return. If I do it regulary, I should expect it to fly back in my face regularly.
Even if what we want to slam someone with is true, it doesn't give us the right to use that truth to crush them. Unless we want others to treat us with the same severity. I know I don't want to be called out for my many faults. That means I need to show mercy when I see the faults (whether genuine or perceived) of others. If I feel I need to confront someone with something, there is a way to do it without humiliating them in front of others.
Jesus forgave sinners of every variety and told them to stop what they were doing, but the only people he ever jumped on were those who were extremely religious and held themselves up as being better than anyone else.
Go in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home